Thursday, August 17, 2006

I Did This To Myself

I was reflecting on my past relationships with a co-worker one day after reading one of Blah's blogs about loving someone that dosen't love you, and it made me think about all of the females that I have wronged in my life.
I have always been blessed to have good quality women in my corner when it comes to relationships, dont get me wrong I have had my share of skeezers,weirdos,chicken-heads, and just your avereage run of the mill stank ass hoes but those were just to serve one purpose only. When it comes time for a relationship there is usually a quality woman there ready and willing to be a part on my life, if I am not reluctant to let her do so.

I said all of that to get to this story...this happened during my college years and really affected me in ways that I was not aware of until recently.

When I went into college I had no intentions of getting into a serious relationship, afterall I was on the basketball team (even though I wasnt going to see much court time I could still pull all of the second tier chicks that the real ballers didn't want, and I had planned to fully take advantage of my new social position)..little did I know that I would meet this beautiful, smart, gorgeous, sweet, sexy, coke bottle shaped, young lady (we'll call her....The Preacher's Daughter or PD)it was LOVE at first sight, my jaw dropped when I saw her... I remember it like it was yesterday...she was standing on the opposite side of a fence by her dorm, I was walking with my man Big D who was in the band and had already been at school for a week..Big D says "Hey PD what's up"....I immediately grabbed this African around the neck and started the interrogation "Who is she" "Where is she from" "Can I be her baby daddy" the whole nine...He proceeds to answer all of my questions, tells me she is in the band with him and then tells me I am on my own if I want to holla at her... (Insert dramatic music here) this is supposed to be my boy and he is leaving me hanging like this...truth be told he already knew PD, he knew what she was about, and knew she did not need to be talking to my sorry ass. Never the less I did convince him to at least introduce me to her which he did, and the Donkey took over from there, somehow I talked her in to going out with me on the very next night,as long as we took my man Big D, and 3 of her friends who were some big homely chicks and I drove a Geo Storm...but I pulled it off some kind of way. Long story short...we went out (I hit it the next day) and ended up starting a relationship with her, I ended up falling DEEPLY in love with PD everyone knew it. I was a changed man, she had me in church, in the choir, and I had my Donkey in check for one of the first times in my life... but the sun don't shine forever......

Basketball season starts, the ladies are starting to notice your boy a little more, and the obvious happens... my "friends" on the team started tellin me how crazy I was to be locked down to one woman and that I should be out trying to gather all of the "scattered ass" that I could while the geting was good...I knew I couldn't hurt PD no more than I already had, and I wanted to do the "right" thing, so My Stupid Ass decides to break it off with her....

1inthesame: "PD you know I love you.. but I have reached a point where I am not sure what I want and I think we should take some time apart"..

PD: "I thought things were good between us please don't do this I can't handle this right now I need you"

1: "PD please dont make this any harder than it has to be, we need this time apart"

(to this day this was the hardest thing that I have ever done)
she continues to beg me not to do this to us...we talk for about 2 more hours, with her crying the entire time... I finally think I have her convinced we need time apart... I walk her back to her dorm...walk back to my dorm..take a nap..get up to get ready for practice...something tells me to call PD to check on her..her roomate "Project Pat" answers the phone..I ask Pat where PD is, she says, she is laying over here in the bed she has been passed out since I got in the room... I ask her to wake PD up....she comes back to the phone saying that she is really sleeping hard I cant wake her up...RED FLAGS !!!!!!!! PD is an extremely light sleeper, I tell Pat to STAY put until I get there,something is not right...I run across campus to her dorm..(at our school guys had to check in with the girls dorm proctor in order to go back to their room) I go check in with the proctor very frantically...I need to see PD ASAP...this fat bitch was on the phone and looked at me like I was crazy...I told her again I need to see PD ASAP...I still didn't get the desired response....so I jump over her desk and head back to PD's room...I start beating on the door hoping Pat will answer the door... no answer, by this time the proctors big butt has gotten off of the phone and is coming towards me with campus security..I tell her what I think is wrong, all the while she is telling Security about what I did...instead of going to check on PD they "usher" me back to the front to calm me down.... Proctor lady gets the message finally and trots back to unlock the door....I bust free from Campus cops and get to the door right as she is opening it.... PD is PASSED out COLD on the bed.... security comes and calls the ambulance to rush her to the hospital...Come to find out she has taken every form of medication that she has in her room and even went to buy more she had take over 20 kinds of medication !!! She arrived to the hospital in time to have her stomach pumped and she survived... after a couple of days in the hospital under the Doc's care and the watchful eye of her Mom, she was released to go home......

We never officially got back together after this suicide incident...during my "Jack Ass" phase she met some cat that was supposedly all into church and he made her forget about me...she married this bastard shortly thereafter and they are still married to this day, they have 3 kids, she has 2 jobs, he quit his job, started taking drugs, and will not let her leave him.. (I got all of this info from one of her friends that I ran into on one of my trips home).... I BLAME Myself for all of this....

Now I find myself staying in relationships that I dont want to be in because I am worried about the person trying to harm themselves due to me,I stay involved hoping that she'll get tired of me and the distance that I continue to put between us maybe she'll break it off with me. I did this to myself, I deserve it, I refuse to put myself through that again, who knows...maybe next time I'll ignore that something telling me to call,maybe next time I wont run over to check on her, maybe next time I'll be too late... I do know that it will be a blessing to be with woman that was as good to me as she was, a woman as sweet, kind, loving, and beautiful as she was... I know I did this to myself........1

20 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Blogger 1InTheSame said...

To Trish...I dont really know how this affected you..I know it affected me just posting this...I still have a lot of emotion in me regarding this situation...I have felt the need to go aplolgize to her when I am in her area but have yet to do so.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger 1InTheSame said...

These thoughts were emailed to me by a friend of mine...she reads but doesn't post, so I thought I'd post them for her. Also to let her know I appreciate her and her thoughts....

I just read your blog.
Don't blame yourself, you were both young and there was no way for you to know she would do that.
Its sad but she wasn't strong enough. You can see it to this day if she lets some guy keep her against her will.

This is no reason for you not to be happy!
you have every right to have the same kind of love again and the chance to find it.
I've told you before don't stay just to keep someone else happy.

These are just my thoughts take them as you will.................

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1: I agree with your friend. You have just as much right to be happy as the other person. You have to make your own happiness on this earth. Someone who expects you to make them happy is missing something in their lives that you will likely never be able to fill. I am sorry that PD was not strong enough to cope with the break-up. But, you shouldn't carry that guilt-trip the rest of your life. You are not responsible for the actions of others... Pray for her and then let it be.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Msnhim said...

You cant blame yourself. You could never have known what she would do and even if you did I doubt you could have done anything about it. You deserve to be happy don't let this keep you from that happiness

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger 1InTheSame said...

To all...Thanks for the encouragement...I think it will take a minute for me to apply these things in my life. I just realized this about a month agoe...Now that I have pin pointed the issue I believe it wil be easier to move and past this. Thank you for reading and posting..

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Blah Blah Blah said...

...babe, you an't hold on to that and apply those results to every woman.

Bloopty, I care about you but we need to go our seperate ways.

Ok baby...have a good life.....NEXT...calling #5...#5....ok #6 NEEEXT!

heeheehee Of course this is all hypothetical...'cause ain't no man leavng Bloop yo!

Seriously tho, get past that baby...your way too young to hold on to that.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger 1InTheSame said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Mr.Slish said...

Oh believe me 1. Blah's been left before..Lol..Brothas probably saying glad I missed that bullet..lol..

I liked this post man..First time here and i'm impressed.

Jay Z said it best once a good girl gone bad she gone forever...

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger 1InTheSame said...

To Mr. Slish... That is one of my favorite Jay Z songs.... Almost the story of my life..

So Brothas be doing a praise dance after they dodge the Blah bullet.. LMAO at that one...Thanks for stopping by my Blog man I appreciate it.

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger Blah Blah Blah said...

1...you laughing at me? I must admit...once the man is away, he's probably taking a huge sigh of relief...but while they are in my clutches...they want to be there forever...jedi mind trick...LOL

I hate Slish...he never has nothing nice to say about me...that should tell you something about him!

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger DivineLavender said...

Let me lay my profess-in-AL viewpoint on this situation. First, individuals that decide to attempt suicide have a number of mental health issues before the actual attempt. For example, depression, anxiety, isolation, dissapointment, feelings of hopelessness are sometimes signs of someone evaluating to commit suicide. This sistah probably had one or more of these issues in her life before you. I bet if you are curious she probably had these thoughts of suicide or even suicide once before in her life. The relationship with you probably was the bandaid on internal bleeding. She needed professional assistance instead of a boyfriend at that point.

Okay..I have been nice enough...This woman has clearly moved on with her life...married a dude..has his children ...She might think about you every once in a while..Believe me...she has moved on with her life

Why are you dwelling on her actions years ago...enough time has passed for her to get married and have this dude's kids?

Brotha, if you are really feeling torn about this situation (as huge as it is) maybe you need to work with someone on your deep seeded feeling of being the one to rescue her or save her from herself. I am glad that you had a part in helping her during her medical emergency although, you didn't save her. It wasn't you going to her room that saved her...you helped...as well as the medical coordination, mental health professionals, her roommate, her family, and probably her new husband have all helped in someway for her to have a life.

I don't mean to be cruel..but I really I am trying to break this down in little pieces for you to examine as you look at this sometimes overwhelming experience.

Hopefully, this helps...love you much!

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger 1InTheSame said...

To Divine...Yeah this does help... I have always had these relationships that just were not quite working for me... and more times than not I just stayed in these situations for whatever reason...not really knowing why, until recently.. this was something that affected me in ways I didnt know until I just sat down and started talking about it, and then it was like getting hit by a truck....Damn !! Now I know after all these years why I do what I do.
Your advice is very profound, I am a strong brother, and I have moved on...but again there were just some underlying issues from my past that I hadnt laid to rest, because they hadn't been addressed. Thanks for posting !!

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger DivineLavender said...

U's ain't gotz to tank me...I generally, always got somfin to say. My big mouth ain't only for suckin and lickin'. LMAO

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger sunshine said...

Man- you can not let your guilt make you stay in any relationship. In the end you have got to be happy.

I feel bad for your old grlfrd but obviously she was unstable to a certain degree anyway.

After a bad breakup- I think its normal to get really depressed but to what to harm yourself-that's another story.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Ms.Honey said...

WOW...this makes me think about things in a whole new light.

By staying with someone that you don't care for aren't you stopping the person that is created specifically for you and the person that is created for them...I use to think that way that I stayed with someone because I didn't want to hurt them and I realized that I was hurting myself in the process

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Ming Houser, Realtor said...

I'm glad that I stopped by...great blog and post.

I, too, find myself staying in situations that I don't want to be in. I'm not in the business of hurting people's feelings, so I try ease out the situation until it becomes unbearable. Next thing I know, I've blown up and ended up hurting his feelings anyway...

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger 1InTheSame said...

to Tjeanise... you live and learn..I believe I am getting the hang of this

to Honey Libra...you are right..just another reason not to stay in those situations and move on

to Dynasty...I feel you ... That was my m.o. just ease it out until BOOM..now she cant stand me !!

Thanks for stopping by ladies !

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger 1InTheSame said...

To Rob Mack.... Man I have attempted to post this week but it has been crazy at the gig...

OHHH yeah I was in the city this weekend... we went to this blues club Downtown...I believe it was called Chicago Blues, it was a good experience..I will definitely be back down there.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger DivineLavender said...

Don't you dare just holla @ Rob if you are back in town...My email is up too!

*Over here waving @ you ONE*

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger 1InTheSame said...

To Rob Mack and the Divine One...If all goes well I will try to come into the city the weekend Saturday evening maybe...what would you guys recommend ?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home